These little cupcakes are a beauty! Chocolate + Strawberry is a classic combination that everybody loves, not to mention these mini babies are fill with strawberry puree as well! Double strawberry goodness! They are seriously tasty!! Firstly, the cupcakes : soft, moist, light and cocoa-ty! You really wont get a better cupcake than this! Secondly, the frosting : strawberry puree mix in with cream cheese = taste just like frozen yoghurt, it is delightful! Thirdly, the strawberry puree, this really is the hero ingredient in this cupcakes! I had quite a lot of the puree left over after making the frosting so i used them to fill up the cupcakes. And that was the best move i have ever made! The puree makes the cupcakes extra moist and really helps to blend the strawberry flavour into the chocolate cupcakes! oh myyy, making me hungry just talking about it!!! This really is the BEST cupcakes i have made so far!!! The combination of the cupcake, frosting and puree just melt in your mouth, they are so soft, fluffy and moist! You can eat the whole batch and not feel sick because the texture is just so light.
Chocolate Cupcakes (I halved below recipe to make 30 mini cupcakes)
(see my chocolate cupcakes post to see how moist and fluffy this cupcakes are!)
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup plus 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat Oven 180C. Line 2 mini muffin trays with paper liners.
- Sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract; whisk together.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix with wooden spoon until mixture is combine.
- Add the boiling water and stir just to combine (batter will be thin).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing (Recipe from My Baking Addiction)
- 1/2 cup whole strawberries
- 120g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 240g of cream cheese, slightly cold
- 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 31/2 cup of icing sugar
- Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in the cream cheese and beat until combined. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners’ sugar; beat until well combined.
- Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree to fill cupcakes); mix until just blended.
Note: The frosting is able to be piped, but is on the soft side and definitely needs to be refrigerated!
Strawberry Puree Filling
- 1/2 cup whole strawberries
- Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed
1. If your strawberries are slightly on the sour side, add some icing sugar to the puree to sweeten it.
2. I used the total of 250g of strawberries for these cupcakes + frosting.
- Cut a small hole in the cupcake
- Fill strawberry puree in the hole
- Put the cap back on
- Pipe strawberry frosting on mini cupcake! 🙂