I made this tart back in February, summer was coming to the end, but I was trying to hold onto the last bit of this warm weather where ever I can. So I decided to make this lemon cream pie with strawberries. The refreshing taste of the lemon cream goes really well with the strawberries, it makes this tart into quite a light tasting dessert, perfect for those summer days.
This tart is a quick and easy dessert, and as usual I cheated…and got a tart case from the frozen aisle! It just saved so much time and it still turned out really well!
Creamy Lemon Tart with Strawberries (Serve 6-8)
(recipe from Technicolour Kitchen)
- 1 x tart case (shortcrust pastry)
- ½ cup (120ml) heavy cream
- ¾ cup lemon curd* (or you can buy a jar of lemon spread if you are pressing time!)
- 450g fresh strawberries, hulled, large strawberries halved
Lemon Curd Receip
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- zest of the juiced lemons
- 63g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 and a half eggs, beaten
Start with the curd: place the lemon juice, zest, butter, sugar and eggs in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan if rapidly simmering water. Cook, stirring continuously, for 20 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly. Pass through a sieve into a glass/ceramic bowl and cover with plastic wrap touching the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cool and thick.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Bake the tart case for 15-20mins.
3. Meanwhile prepare lemon curd.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until firm peaks form. Fold about half of the cream into the lemon curd, then fold in the rest of the cream. Pour the filling into the tart shell and spread it out evenly.
5. Lightly cover the tart with plastic wrap and refrigerate it until cold, about 1 hour, or up to 4 hours. Remove the outer ring of the pan before serving.
6. Arrange Strawberries on the tart.
NOTES: My cream turned out a bit more runny than I like, the original recipe call for soft peak whipped cream, but I would whip my cream to very firm peak next time to give the lemon cream a firmer consistency.