This is a easy easy sponge cake recipe! If I am press with time, this is definitely my go to recipe to whip up a quick basic sponge cake. No needs to separate the eggs, no need multiple bowls for the cake batter, a easy, no mess recipe! You can clean up in no time! Fill it with some whipped cream and jam, you got yourself a beautiful looking cake!
Easy Sponge Cake (Serve 6-8)
(from cookbook ‘In the Kitchen’)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup of plain flour
- strawberry jam
- 500 ml thicken cream, whipped
- icing sugar, to dust on top of the cake
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Butter a 20cm springform cake tin and line the sides and bottom with baking paper. Butter the paper and sprinkle it with a little plain flour to ensure that the batter won’t stick.
3. Beat the eggs and caster sugar together until very thick and light. Carefully fold in the flour, then spoon the mix into the prepared cake pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
4. Allow cake to cool completely on a cooling rack. Peel away baking paper.
5. Cut cake in half and spread a layer of jam and whipped cream on the bottom half of the cake. Then spread another layer of jam of the top half of the cake. Place top layer cake on top of the bottom layer. Sprinkle with icing sugar, serve!
1. The cake is best serve on the day. Store left overs in the fridge in a air tight container.