You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘polenta’ tag.
Polenta polenta polenta…..I have only made polenta once before and it was a disaster! It turned out sooo grainy and tasted like glue!! Ekkk….. but after seeing a picture of polenta with mushrooms from Leslie Sarna Blog, I really want to give polenta another crack!
And this time, Polenta was delicious!
The Best Soft Polenta (recipe from the book ‘In the Kitchen’ )
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 200ml (2 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 180g (1 cup) Polenta
- a handful of parmesan or tasty cheese
- salt to taste
- Bring water and stock to boil in a saucepan. Sprinkle in polenta, whisking well to precent any lumps forming.
- Reduce to a low simmer and cook for 25-30mins, stirring continuously until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Season to taste. Serve straight away.
(adapted from Leslie Sarna’s recipe)
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- nob of butter
- ½ teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
Add butter to frying pan on medium heat , sauté mushrooms and onions until soften. Add chilli flakes and balsamic vinegar to mushrooms for further 1-2 minutes.
Scoop out polenta onto a plate and top with mushrooms and onions!
NOTES (When cooking polenta):
- Polenta can splutter and burn, use a long handled spoon is ideal
- Using half water and half stock adds richness to the finished polenta. If you don’t have stock available, its fine to just use water