I absolutely LOVE LOVEEEE this chocolate frosting!! The sour cream makes it so creamy and you cant even taste there is sour cream in it! And what’s better than having real melted chocolate in your frosting? In fact, I reckon the frosting tastes just like chocolate mousse that melt in your mouth! SO TASTY!!
With a creamy frosting, a light but moist chocolate cupcake is the key to make this perfect combination. The cupcake recipe that I used is a lot like the one that I used in my mini caramel cupcakes and the lemon curd cupcakes. I love the oil base recipe – its so easy, leave no mess and the cupcakes always turn out light and moist!
I actually had quite a bit of frosting left, enough to frost a few more cupcakes, just as I wasn’t sure what I’m gonna do with the them, Andy came into the kitchen and polish it all! But I secretly wishing I could lick it all myself!
I took the cupcakes to work the next day for a girl’s birthday and they were a massive hit! Everyone loves it and said it was super-tasty! They all want the recipe for it! Though I soon regret giving out all my cupcakes, I ended up having one cupcake but really, I wanted six!! It was so good, I just wanted more…..
Chocolate Cupcakes (Make 30)
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup plus 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract; whisk together.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix with wooden spoon until mixture is combine.
- Add the boiling water and stir just to combine (batter will be thin).
- Transfer batter to prepared pans, filling each liner about 2/3 of the way full, approximately 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake approximately 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans about five minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Notes: I halved the cupcake recipe to make 12-15 cupcakes
Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting (for 12-15 cupcakes)
- 170g bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 tablespoon (64g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. sour cream
- Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Set aside to cool until just barely warm. (I melted my chocolate in the microwave, stir every 30s to avoid burning the chocolate!)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-high speed until pale.
- Gradually mix in the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and salt, beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the melted and cooled chocolate and then the sour cream.
- Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Frost cupcakes immediately.