Haven’t made mini cupcakes for a while now, I am a big fan of them, but due to peer pressure (mainly from Andy) I always ended up baking standard size cupcakes. But this week, mini cupcakes are coming back!
I wanted to bake something fairly simple just using whatever I have got in the pantry (cant be bothered doing shopping this weekend!) and I thought what’s more simple than making a caramel sauce and turn it into a caramel buttercream frosting! Sugar and water, that’s it! And it is so yummy!! I think this caramel frosting goes really well on mini cupcakes, because they are fairly rich in flavour, using it to frost a whole standard cupcake could result in being a bit too sweet. But with these mini babies, they just go perfectly together!
Vanilla cupcakes (Make 48)
(recipe based on my Lemon Curd Cupcakes post – click there to check out of step by step images and see how light and fluffy the inside of the cupcake is!)
- 2 large eggs (minimum weight of 59g)
- 188ml (3/4 cup) sunflower oil (or any mild-flavoured oil could be used)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line 2 mini muffin trays with paper liners.
- Place eggs, oil, sour cream and caster sugar in a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients until well combined.
- Sift about 2/3 cup (100g) of the self-raising flour onto the wet ingredients and whisk until the flour is incorporated and the mixture is free of lumps. Repeat this procedure two more times, until all of the flour has been incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared mini muffin cups, filling each approx 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
To Make Frosting:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 100g butter
- Melt butter in sauce pan.
- Add brown sugar and milk
- Boil over low heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture start to thicken a little
- Cool to lukewarm. Add in icing sugar, whisk until combine (Note :it looks a bit lumpy right now but it will all smooth out once mixture with butter and icing sugar)
Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- 250g unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup icing sugar
- 4-5 tablespoon of caramel sauce
- Beat together butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add in caramel sauce, continue to beat until well combined.
Now enjoy these minis!