I was on the search for an awesome vanilla cupcakes recipe on request from my boyfriend. I always get distracted by all the colourful, different flavours cupcakes so I hardly ever order just a vanilla cupcake! So I wasn’t quite sure what a good vanilla cupcakes involves. Lucky for me, the food blogging community always come to the rescue! Billy’s Bakery, located in New York, seems to have a great reputation on their vanilla cupcakes in the food blogging world, and so it happens I found him showing this recipe on Martha Stewart’s website! Bingo!
I topped these babies up with the Best Frosting I’ve Ever Had from Tasty Kitchen. And O M G , the frosting is absolutely divine and has this amazing texture: looks a bit like whipped cream and it just MELTS in your mouth! YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS FROSTING!!
Billy’s vanilla vanilla cupcakes
Ingredients (Makes 30)
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
2. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about two-thirds full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
4. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter. Once cupcakes have cooled, use a small offset spatula to frost tops of each cupcake. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Best Frosting I’ve Ever Had (from Tasty Kitchen)
- 5 tablespoon of plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- Begin by pouring flour milk.
- After adding the flour, whisk it together until combined, then place the saucepan over medium heat. Whisk it as it heats up and thickens, and stop when the mixture is very thick.
- Cool the mixture completely. The mixture will be very, very thick.
- Add vanilla to the cooled flour/milk mixture. Stir it around to combine.
- In a separated bowl, Pour in sugar and butter.
- Whip it around until it’s light and fluffy, scraping the bowl once or twice to make sure it’s all mixed well.
- Add the cooled flour/milk/vanilla mixture. Next, just whip it on medium-high until the mixture resembled whipped cream.
- I halved the recipe to make about 15 cupcakes.
- I over cooked my cupcakes a littleL I had a look my cupcakes at 17mins, the tops were looking quite wet so I thought they were still not ready, and didn’t bother testing them. So I left them in an extra 5mins, and in that 5 mins I have ruined my cupcakes!! Well, they were not ruin, they are jus a bit dry, still quite tender tho! So make sure you check and test them at 17mins, don’t judge them by just looking at them!
- Be sure to try out the frosting recipe !!! (above frosting recipe yield for about 12-15 cupcakes). Check out the recipe link to Tasty Kitchen, step by step to show you how to make this melt in your mouth frosting!