For a long time I have been looking for a cupcake recipe that I can use to be a base for most of my cupcakes. But a lot of them turned out dry and crumbly so I was determined to find THE ONE! �There are literally thousands of cupcake recipes around, you can find them on cooking sites, cookbooks, food blogs……So after a LOT of reading and researching, I think I have found THE ONE! Well the one for me anyway! These cupcakes turned out moist and fluffy, jus the texture I was hoping for!
These cupcakes have a lemon curd filling and top with a lemon cream cheese icing!
They are light,
They are lemony,
They are delicious!
Cupcake (Make 12-15) (adapted from Exclusively Food)
- 2 large eggs (minimum weight of 59g)
- 188ml (3/4 cup) sunflower oil (or any mild-flavoured oil could be used)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 whole lemon zest
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups self-raising flour
Light Lemon Curd (recipe from baking bites)
- 1/3 cup strained, fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
To make cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Place eggs, oil, sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest and caster sugar in a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients until well combined.
- Sift about 2/3 cup (100g) of the self-raising flour onto the wet ingredients and whisk until the flour is incorporated and the mixture is free of lumps. Repeat this procedure two more times, until all of the flour has been incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each approx 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
To make lemon curd:
- In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, combine sugar and lemon juice. Add zest and stir until sugar is dissolved completely.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg. Whisking constantly (or with an electric mixer on low), very slowly stream the hot lemon-sugar syrup into the egg. Beat for 2 minutes (only 1 if you’re using a mixer), then transfer back into the saucepan by pouring the mixture through a sieve.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the curd just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to a small airtight container and store in the fridge. Wait for at least an hour before using it.
Makes about 2/3 cup. It can fill about 12 cupcakes. Recipe can be doubled.
To make frosting:
- Beat together butter, cream cheese and lemon juice on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating on low speed until incorporated.
- Add lemon zest and increase speed to medium-high and beat until smooth.
- Use a paring knife to cut a small cone out of the center of each cupcake.
- Spoon lemon curd into the center of each cupcake.
- Pipe up your frosting/icing!
- I decided to go with a light lemon curd recipe so I feel less guilty when I have one cupcake after another! Even though it is a ‘light’ recipe, its still burst with great lemon flavour! It has a silky smooth texture and a very light and fresh taste to it! It is absolutely beautiful and you won’t regret using this recipe in your cupcake!
- I don’t know why I didn’t following the frosting recipe, so mine turned out to be more like an icing! But if u do following the recipe, yours should come out a lot firmer and they would be perfect to pipe!